Follow socialcyclist on Twitter diigo it

Tuesday 21 December 2010

Why you should always wear a helmet





The subject of whether to wear a helmet or not is one that is guaranteed to kick off a heated debate. As the snow and ice is upon us and likelt to be here for a while there are many of us who will still venture out without a protective lid. I say many of 'us', I actually mean many of 'you' because I have never not worn one and will never not wear one.
I simply do not get the various arguments posed against helmets, they aren't uncomfortable, don't restrict movement and certainly don't diminish the 'cool' factor. Indeed some would argue that we have a pretty low 'cool' score with or without a lid.
Anyway, I thought that I would post some pictures of the result of a crash I had a couple of years ago in the hope that it may make just one person think again about not putting theirs on or indeed about whether to buy one or not.
The attached pictures are of the injury I sustained to my right shoulder when I came a cropper in a fairly high speed crash. I unfortunately don't have a picture of what was left of my Giro helmet but suffice to say it was split in two. Had I not been wearing that helmet I fear my daughter would have been born Fatherless some 8 weeks after this accident.
It just isn't worth the risk so please do wear one.

No comments:

Post a Comment